What is charcuterie?
Besides the current hot entertaining trend? Charcuterie, (pronounced [shahr-koo-tuh–ree] is the culinary art of preparing meat products such as bacon, salami, ham, sausage, terrines, galantines, ballotines, pâtés, and confit. Originally intended as a way to preserve meat before refrigeration, they are prepared today for their flavors derived from the preservation processes.
First off you need to know there are no hard rules for building a charcuterie board. That is what makes them so fun and special! Mix it up and have fun with it. If you feel a little stuck on where to begin we have put together a little guide to help:
Guide to Building a Charcuterie Board:
- Cheese- 1-2 soft cheeses (Brie, camembert, gorgonzola, goat, neufchâtel) and 1-2 firm cheeses (smoked aged cheddar, gouda, parmigiano-reggiano, gruyere)
- Assortment of cured meats- Hard salami, prosciutto, smoked ham, dry-cured chorizo, Genoa salami, capicola, mortadella, summer sausage- 2-3oz per person of 2+ selections
- A variety of crackers, bread sticks, crostini, baguette
- Nuts -Candied pecans, pistachios, cashews, almonds
- Fruit(s)-Berries, orange slices, pomegranate, grapes, pear
- Spreads - Jams, mustards, jellies, hummus
- Other- Olives, pickled asparagus, gherkins, pepperoncini, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes
The possibilities are completely endless! You can make a dessert board, crudites, breakfast board, taco board…
Charcuterie boards are delicious everyday, however they also make the perfect addition to your party and holiday spreads!
Looking to step up your wow factor? How about a one of a kind DIY Charcuterie Board Kit from Homeworks Etc?! Made of quality Maple Hardwood. Each piece is unique and it's own shape, grain, and imperfections. Exactly what makes it a beautiful show piece when you are creating your amazing charcuterie platters.
Our DIY Kit Includes:
- One piece of Maple Wood
- 220 Grit and 400 Grit Sandpaper
- Stencil of your choice from our selection
- 1.5 oz Coal Black Fusion Mineral Paint
- 2 oz Fusion Mineral Paint Hemp Oil
- Salad Bowl Finish
- 2 foam brushes
- Instructions to complete
Available online or in store for local pick up!
Need a little more inspiration? Check out our pinterest board for more amazing ideas to build your own charcuterie boards!